What to wear for your Cape Cod Family Photo Session
I’ve been scrolling through some of my favorite photos recently to be better able to offer some advice of what you should wear for your Cape Cod Family photo session. As I looked back through my portfolio, I realized that I’ve been lucky enough to photograph some very stylish families! In the past, I’ve stuck to some basic advice, but I’m hoping to be able to expand a bit - and show you some great examples along the way!
Feel free to only take this as a guide - I always think that your photos are for you and your family, so you really should dress in whatever way you’re the most comfortable! If you’d like some tips, however, check these out:
1. Choose one outfit or color that you love and build from there. Do you have an amazing outfit that you think would look great? Check out the colors that are in it and plan to coordinate! Or…do you know that you look really good in blue? You can choose to have everyone wear a shade of the color you choose, or you can have everyone wear accessories in that color - scarves, jewelry, and vests or jackets can be taken on and off to mix things up a bit. The first family below did an awesome job of coordinating and using the color blue, and the second family went with neutrals with pops of color found in their daughter’s dress.
2. My favorite colors for the beach are blue, grey, white, and khaki, with pops of brighter colors. You can really wear any color you’d like on the beach because the background is usually pretty neutral, but these seem to stand out to me the most! As I scrolled through some of my favorite photos, I definitely noticed blue in many of them - all shades from navy to light blue - and they all looked great! Colors that coordinate really well with blue are yellow and coral. Check out a few examples below:
Blue is even pretty on the beach in the winter!
3. Should we just all match? It’s totally up to you! I always think kids look really cute when they’re dressed in a similar way - and you can probably only get away with it for so long! “Jeans and a white shirt” used to be pretty standard…our family even did a session like that…but when we got the photos back, they didn’t have much of our personality in them. I’ve seen lots of families though, that have looked amazing “matching” in khaki and white - you should really think about your family and what fits you best. Below are a few examples of amazing “matching” kids and a fun take on the khaki and white scheme:
4. Kids are only kids for so long - let them act like it! :) Does your little one have something that they picked out to wear by themselves? Feel free to let them wear it - again, these photos are for you! If it’s something that you might not want them to wear in every photo, bring a few options - give me a heads up and I can “help you” suggest that we should change it up a bit after taking some photos in their favorite outfit. I LOVE it though, when a child is just a child and they wear whatever they’re most comfortable in - and…if anyone is wearing a “twirly dress”, I will definitely ask them to spin!
5. You should be comfortable too! Always try to find an outfit that fits you well - and probably isn’t brand new. It’s never fun to be uncomfortable or self-conscious while you’re having your photos taken. I’m sure you already have a favorite outfit - stick with that and then coordinate your family around what you love!
6. Layer - if you can…Fall and Winter sessions always seem to have an easier time with this. Consider scarves you can take on and off, jackets and vests, and even necklaces or jewelry that can be taken off if you choose. In the summer, a light scarf can look great. Even being able to put your hair up and down can make a big difference!
I hope these helped a little bit! If you are already booked for a session and would like me to check out your outfits, feel free to email or text me some photos. I’d be glad to give you some input!
Are you still considering booking your own Cape Cod photo session? Please feel free to contact me or check out all of the details on my site here!